Sunday, July 09, 2006

I think my mind just melted...

Well, left St. Paul yesterday where it was beautiful weather. Boarded the 12:30 SkyWest flight from MSP to Salt Lake. We had a maintenance issue, but thankfully it was corrected without too much delay, but enough to make me worry about my 3:03 flight from Salt Lake to Fresno. I didn't think about it too much while we were in the air, and the flight was pretty uneventful. We landed in Salt Lake at 2:50. Needless to say, I was huffing it, well that doesn't acurratly describe what I was doing. Let me rephrase. As I was barreling through the concourse at a speed that would give Jackie Joyner Kersy a run for her money, I finally got to the gate at 3:00. Now mind you I'm not in as good a shape as I could be, having lived in a hotel for the last month, that combined with the fact that I was about 4,000 feet higher in altitude than in St. Paul. I was breathing very heavily, probably making sounds that resembled a wildabeast trying to dislodge a hairball the size of a small goat. I was barley able to ask the gate agent if the flight was gone yet, to which has casually replied that the flight was delayed.

As I stood in the concourse wondering what I was to do in the meantime, I found one of my classmates that is doing his simulator trainging the same time I am. He invited me to come over and sit down, and when I did, I was greeted by 4 more of my classmates, all trying to get to Fresno on the same flight, all delayed. We finally got on our flight about 40 minutes late, and headed to Fresno. The flight over was kind of overcast, so not much to look at. When we landed, we got our bags and stepped outside. It was 104 degrees and 51% humidity. We all almost died on the spot.

We checked into our hotel and then Jason, Chris, Hugh and I went to meet our sim instructor. She seems pretty cool, and we briefed until about 8 or so (we started at about 6) on what life would be like for us in Fresno for the next few days. Jason and I, being the lucky ones, have a regular show time in the morning of 4. That's AM fols. Which means I'm up by 3. Life couldn't get much better. Once we were done, we met up with Cindy and Stefanie, who are here for sims too, and went out to eat.

My alarm went off at a time I never knew existed this morning. We got to the sim building and our instructor was there a few minutes later. We went over what we were going to do that day, and then started off. The thigns we're focusing on are all those flows and things some of you may have seen me doing in St. Louis and at home. I have them down pretty good, but they're kinda harder when you have about a million other things going on at the same time. All in all it was a fun experience mostly, and I think that after a few more times I should have the hang of it. We were done with the sim at about 9. The rest of the day has been pretty uneventful, we came back and slept for awhile of course, then studied for awhile to keep all those things we learned today cemented in our heads. Tonight I'm turning in early cause I have another early day tomorrow. I can't wait. For those of you who gave me trouble about this, you should be able to leave comments now. If you still can't, then I can't help you. No one can.

No comments: