Monday, June 12, 2006

I think my cerebellum just fused...

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Sorry, the movie Caddyshack was on earlier, and that's my favorite quote from it, spoken by Bill Murray.

The first part of class today was mostly videos. We watched videos on CFIT and windshear. CFIT stands for Controlled Flight Into Terrain. If you can believe it, there are pilots (at about the rate of one every two weeks throughout the world) that take a perfectly good airplane and fly it right into the ground. (Non-purposely) The problem is that sometimes pilots get distracted doing other thing and lose their situational awareness, and if they're flying at night or in instrument conditions, they won't know that they're getting close to a mountain for example. So we learned some of the things that CFIT accidents have in common and how to avoid them. We finished up the morning taking a few small tests online about CFIT and windshear, and got out for lunch early.

After lunch, we had a review for our big Indoctrination Test we have tomorrow. The instructor who did the review was a different one than we normally have, so I was nice to get a different perspective on things. We got to ask questions, and if it was something that he though "we'd see again sometime in the very near future," he'd tell us so. Hopefully I have a prett good idea of what's going to be going on tomorrow.

After class, my roommate Jason, Kate and Cally (two other girls from my class) went out and got groceries. After that, I sat down and made a little question/answer sheet based upon what we went over in class. On my way to print it out, I met Charlie, another classmate, in the hall to say that he and some other people were having a small study group. Jason and I went to that for awhile, and then came back to the room and studied some more. I think I'm pretty well ready, but I'm going to go over stuff and then probably going to wake up early and go over stuff then. I'm better off than some of those people in the study group though. So I got that going for me, which is nice...

No comments: